Some extra R playtime
When we first covered R a few weeks ago, I did not put as much time into trying to learn it because, in all honesty, I did not think I would use it much. After going through the final project process, however, and speaking with my fellow classmates who all found it incredibly useful, I thought I would go back and put some extra effort into exploring the program and its functionalities.
It still took me a little while to get the hang of it; even with seemingly simple things, such as loading in files. Thanks to my classmate, Sandra, however, I soon got the hang of it. I used an existing dataset from one of our first exercises looking at NYC open data for December 2014.
Using Kevin Miklasz's R template, I first tried out various summary functions.
I remember getting a summary count was something I struggled to figure out in D3. The ability to so easily access that information in R was surprising (to me, at least, given my limited experience with both programs).
I also played around with creating a quick bar chart.
The axis needs a little more work but I'm slowly making my way through. I definitely see its value as a data analysis tool, particularly when used before jumping into the visualization phase.